If you want to get a taste for my favourite artists and the music that gets me dancing and singing along, take a quick scroll down my Instagram feed for just some of the incredible acts I stalk for pictures of their latest incredible performances. After last year turned out to be such an incredible year for seeing so many of the acts I had been longing to see live for years, I am even more determined to get round more of my favourites in the next few years. I cannot describe my excitement at getting to see Fatboy Slim, Basement Jaxx, Major Lazer, Beyonce, Bastille, Of Monsters and Men, Julian Marley, Paloma Faith, Sub Focus, Chase and Status, Pendulum and so many others perform live in the last 12 months. But as I tick each off, I add even more acts to my list and it grows even longer. Here are just some of the incredible acts I am determined to see live in the next few years:
- Steve Aoki – The king of crazy. His performances are high-energy, complete chaos and simply ridiculous – everything I love about live shows and every time I see pictures of him leaping into the crowd or shooting off fire extinguishers or throwing cake at the crowd, I just wish I was there in the thick of it.
- The Prodigy – I just LOVE their music and have done for years but to be honest, I have seen live footage of the crowds at their gigs and I’m more than a little bit scared of leaping in there. Things often get a lot moshier than I am willing to go, and I’m not sure I want my face smashed in! Knife Party are another one that although I would love to see, I’m a bit scared! Ha.
- The Chemical Brothers – Like Fatboy, the sound of the nineties and my youth. It’s the music I grew up with and I just know it would be an incredible experience to hear live, plus I know how much those songs get the crowd going even now.
- Annie Mac – I missed out on seeing her at Parklife two summers ago because of the queue at the gate, but am still desperate to go to a club night or festival where she is DJing, her set lists fill my iPod and her Friday night sessions on Radio One always get me dancing and wanting to go out.
- Kanye West – See, it’s not all DJs! Love his music and know he would put on an awesome show. Would also be happy to see Drake or Pharrell live as well.
- Daft Punk – A bit like The Chemical Brothers, they are just an institution and I loved their new album, had it on repeat in my car, so I think it would be amazing to see them live.
- The Arctic Monkeys – Such good music, a bit of a different scene to all the dance music acts but just one of those ones you know all the words to. Their new stuff is great and although their attitude at the BRITs stank, I still would love to see them. To be in the crowd at a festival when they dropped bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor would be a fantastic experience.
- The XX – Their album was just stunning and is still my go-to album on my iPod, I never get bored of its stunning sound and I just know it would be such a magical experience to hear live. I would also like to see Chvrches and London Grammar.
- Cee-Lo Green/Gnarls Barkley – Do I even need to explain this one? That voice? Those songs! And that suit… Winner. Simple as.
- Paolo Nutini – He is just dreamy, and his music is beautiful. He’s a singer that I have liked for years now and often they don’t stick in my mind that long, or I don’t continue to like their music as their style changes. Paolo has changed his style but I still love it.
I’m sure there are many more I could list and I could go on forever, but these are just some of those that immediately came to mind. He’s hoping I get the chance to see some of them live very soon!
Who would you love to see perform live and why? What was your favourite live act of last year?
Arcade Fire are coming to Earls Court this summer. I thought about it, but couldn’t justify the ticket price, which wasn’t exorbitant, but it all adds up when you include the train fare to London too.
Ahh that’s a shame – but you’re right, tickets are so expensive if it turns into an overnight trip etc. I tend to go for festivals because you can see so many amazing acts in one place and for one ticket – so much better value!
My favourite bands kept sending me Coachella updates through Facebook and making me dead envious of those who were able to go. That would be a festival and a half! (Cost the same as a festival and a half too.)
That’s so mean of them! I get the same constantly working for the festival website – constant festival and gig envy! Coachella would be incredible – I’d love to do Burning Man as well! But as you say, I’m no millionaire! Haha need to win the lottery!
I’ve never done a festival – I’ve never found a line up where I think I want to see them… them… them… oh and them as well! And there is the weather… we need Californian climes.
Ahh you should keep looking 🙂 you’ll find the one for you! Have a look at http://www.thisfestivalfeeling.com for ideas 🙂 I found the weather amazing last summer, was at a festival nearly every other weekend and it only rained on me once! Was sunbathing and swimming at most of them!
I’ve seen both Steve Aoki and Chemical Brothers live and they definitely deserve that spot on your list – amazing performances!
Efia @ effytalkslife.blogspot.com
Ahhhh I’m so jealous!! Bet they were incredible! I need to get on this pronto 🙂 Was gutted to see Steve Aoki’s London show was sold out already! xxx